Tiredness, we can all feel tired at some point, if we have done some strenuous activity or we have not slept well. In certain cases however, it can become something to watch out for, especially if the situation is prolonged or frequent. Let’s evaluate this symptom and it´s causes.
Causes of fatigue
This generalized malaise that detracts from your physical and mental vitality can be as a result of many reasons and circumstances. Some depend on your habits and others are the result of ailments or external factors.
Chronic or acute fatigue often occur as a consequence of a pathology (blood condition) or the medications used to treat it. Chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia or lung, heart conditions, thyroid diseases liver, or kidney conditions cause sufferers to feel tired nearly all the time. In case of the above symptoms,or if you think you are tired as a consequence of any medication you are taking it is advisable to consult your doctor.
Severe infections in some cases also cause this inconvenience, as does the disorder called sleep apnea. For sleep apnea sufferers breathing becomes very shallow or is interrupted during sleep, and the person wakes up several times, so that rest is chronically insufficient.
When we feel that we lose control over our life, or that there is no incentive to live, a chronic lassitude can set in that is difficult to overcome. This often happens because of an important loss in your social circle, be it family or friends. It also occurs frequently after a life change, such as moving or retiring and stopping work.
On the other hand, there are certain pathological conditions that can make you feel tired all the time. Chronic or acute stress puts you in a situation of constant alertness that becomes exhausting, and fatigue appears along with other physical alterations, such as headaches, back pain or gastrointestinal problems.
Insomnia is a common symptom of some emotional disorders, including anxiety and depression. Lack of sleep aggravates the fatigue that accompanies these diseases.
Leading a life with unhealthy habits prevents you from resting and deprives you of the possibility of restoring energy. Here are some that will make you feel tired all the time:
- Not getting enough sleep by going to bed late or waking up too early. The ideal is to sleep on a regular schedule,i.e. get up and go to bed at the same time everyday.
- Drinking caffeinated beverages, excessive alcohol and substance abuse are harmful habits, which prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep.
- Inadequate nutrition, with high consumption of fast food and ultra-processed food. These products lack the nutrients that your body needs, so this type of diet does not allow your body to regain strength. Fad diets can also be harmful for the same reason, as they are often unbalanced in terms of macro and micronutrient intake.
- Too little exercise, or too much. Exercise is necessary for better health and a good night’s rest. Sedentary people are more likely to feel a constant lack of energy. On the other hand, over-exercising can make you more tired than you should be.
Side effects of fatigue
Fatigue is often accompanied by side effects, especially when it is caused by incorrectly performed exercise. These may include mood swings, lack of motivation, weakness or heaviness in the limbs, trouble concentrating, or poor performance.
This effect appears due to excessive physical activity or overloading yourself in another area. Repetitive movements and sustained impact injure some anatomical areas, such as a muscle in the calves, which is called compartment syndrome. If it happens to you, you will feel leg pain and tiredness, tingling or cramping, and weakness in the affected limb. Typically, the symptoms begin soon after exercise and last up to about 15 minutes after exercise is stopped.
Weakness associated with lack of exercise sometimes leads to fatigue and muscle pain precisely in the places that are never exercised. This is what happens with the back, because weak muscles cannot sustain a correct posture, so the musculature is overloaded, fatigued prematurely and contracts, causing discomfort. This lack of strength is caused by low activity, which leads to muscle fibers to gradually losing volume and tone. As you age, the collagen content of the skeleton progressively lessens, and for that reason there is greater weakness in the anatomical structures.
Low concentration and muscle fatigue from exercise
Exercising vigorously several times a week increases the blood supply to many viscera, especially including the brain. By increasing the supply of oxygen and nutrients, concentration improves, as well as other cognitive functions such as memory. On the other hand, frequent physical activity prevents cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension and arteriosclerosis, which narrows the arteries and depletes oxygen to the tissues.
The exhaustion however, associated with improperly performed exercise is detrimental to the functioning of the body. This type of fatigue manifests itself with lack of coordination, poor ability to concentrate and pay attention, general muscle pain and tiredness, as well as sleep disturbances.
How to treat fatigue?
Changing your lifestyle is the best thing you can do to regain vitality and avoid feeling fatigued all the time. Please note: the advice we gave you above is very valid. Exercise, done in the right way, will be of great help to achieve not only better health, but a state of well-being. To achieve this, you must follow certain guidelines and talk by a trainer:
- Hydrate well before and during exercise.
- Stretch and hold each position for about 20 seconds.
- After your routine, walk slowly for a while. With these measures you will eliminate lactic acid more easily, a substance that is the cause of pain and muscle fatigue from exercise.
- Showers with water at a mild temperature help to eliminate fatigue.
- Eat well, following the instructions of a nutritionist.
- Follow your trainer’s advice. The type of exercise, its frequency and intensity, and rest breaks are important to avoid injury and achieve measurable progress.
Sport prevents fatigue
Certainly, this statement is completely true. Exercise is the best way to increase muscle tone build strength and endurance, thereby combating premature fatigue. People who love sports keep their energy level high for many hours, regardless of whether they have had a day with a lot of physical or mental activity. Exercising also, enables you to keep your cognitive functions in top condition. You will be able to solve problems better, which will be less time consuming and won’t wear you down.
The benefits of doing sport
The positive effects of regular exercise are countless. Below you will find some of the most important ones, which are present even in people with a disease.
- Exercising fights or prevents various diseases, such as metabolic syndrome, stroke, diabetes, hypertension, arteriosclerosis and several types of cancer.
- People who exercise live longer and healthier lives and are more resistant to stress, depression and anxiety.
- You increase your energy, as all the tissues in your body will function better. Plus, your heart and lungs will perform at their best.
- You release tension with the secretion of endorphins, which generate well-being.
- You reduce the risk of death in general, regardless of the cause.
- By exercising you decrease the level of bad cholesterol or LDL and increase the levels of HDL.
- Your sleep will be deeper and more restful.
- You improve intestinal transit and constipation disappears.
- Your posture will improve and be correct.
- Your sexual performance improves by increasing the blood supply to the tissues.
Benefits of electrostimulation
This technique successfully complements your workouts in a passive manner. Thanks to the electrostimulation suit Wiemspro, EMS imitates the electrical discharges produced by the nervous system, to activate a smooth and uniform muscle contraction throughout the muscle. This will allow you to obtain the following benefits of EMS training:
- Deep fibers are reached, which are not easy to activate voluntarily with exercise.
- Improve your performance without additional fatigue.
- You achieve an increase in strength and muscle mass more quickly
- As they are low-impact contractions, you reduce the risk of injury, especially joint injuries.
- You activate lymphatic and blood circulation, which allows you to eliminate toxins more quickly.
The feeling of fatigue is natural when you’ve done something strenuous, but there are ways to overcome it when you’ve not. On our website there is always interesting and up-to-date information on health topics. Subscribe to our blog!